You’re next flight is just around the corner, and you’re reviewing your packing list.
Toothpaste? Check. Cell phone charger? Check. Vape pen?
Sometimes (cough, cough, always), you need to take your cannabis with you, and flying with a vape pen is a great way to do that.
If you’re here because you have questions about flying with weed, we’ve got you covered. Find out what’s legal and how to fly with a vape pen on your next trip.
Choosing Your Departure Point
Interestingly, the ease of flying with a vape can vary depending on your departure point. California airports, for example, tend to be more lenient due to the state’s progressive cannabis regulations. As a result, travelers flying from California may find a more relaxed approach to vape transportation.
For example, you might have no trouble flying out of California into a state like South Dakota. However, it wouldn’t be wise to fly out of South Dakota with any leftover goodies from your trip.
Flying with Vape Pens
There are plenty of vape pens out there, whether they are THC, CBD, nicotine, or some kind of herbal infusion. However, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has strong guidelines about what you can and cannot bring on planes, including vapes. Here’s what you need to know:
According to the TSA website:
- Carry-On Only: Vape pens, whether they contain THC, CBD, nicotine, or other herbal blends, are permitted in carry-on baggage. Storing your vape pen in your carry-on bag allows you to maintain control over its safety.
- Battery Safety: The TSA emphasizes the importance of preventing accidental activation of the heating element. To ensure safety, it’s recommended to remove the cartridge from the battery. If you’re using a disposable vape pen, be sure to check if it can be separated.
- Battery Limits: Each lithium-ion battery’s Watt-hour (Wh) rating must not exceed 100 Wh, or for lithium metal batteries, the lithium content should not surpass 2 grams. These limits help mitigate potential fire hazards during the flight.
A Cautionary Note: Checked Bags and Battery Risks
While checking your bags might seem convenient, it’s important to note that placing vape pens in checked luggage poses potential risks. The concern around vape pens is the battery-powered heating element that vaporizes the liquid. If the lithium battery were to catch fire while in the cargo hold, it could mean serious danger for the aircraft and its passengers. Therefore, it’s strongly advised to keep your vape pen and accessories in your carry-on bag.
You can still bring a vape pen with you while flying, but it must remain in your carry-on, and it’s wise to remove the cartridge from the battery if possible. Note: Some vape pens are disposable, and you can’t separate the cartridge from the battery.
Tips for Packing Your Vape on Vacation
When flying with weed in your carry-on, there are a few tips and tricks to help ensure a seamless experience with TSA.
- Battery and Cartridge Separation: For added safety, separate the vape battery from the cartridge and pack them in secure bags. This precaution helps prevent accidental activation during transit.
- Battery Charger: If you’re using a rechargeable vape pen, don’t forget to pack your battery charger. This is especially important for non-disposable devices.
- Avoid Overfilling Cartridges: Cabin pressure changes during the flight can cause vape cartridges to leak or shatter if overfilled. To avoid this, leave some space in the cartridge or consider using refillable liquids that comply with TSA’s 3.4-ounce liquid guidelines.
- Discreet Packaging: Remove any packaging or labels that could indicate your vape’s cannabis content. This step helps maintain a low profile during security checks.
If you have any concerns about traveling with tanks or cartridges, consider packing disposable vapes to ease your mind and eliminate worries about breakage or leakage.
Flying With Weed: Navigating the Legal Landscape
Alright, let’s tackle the big question: Can you bring your beloved bud on a plane without landing in hot water? The answer? Well, it’s a bit like a game of legal hopscotch. Buckle up, we’re about to dive into the high-stakes world of flying with weed.
The Legal Lowdown
First things first, remember that cannabis laws vary from place to place, and that includes airports. So, before you even think about stashing your stash in your carry-on, give yourself a crash course on the laws of both your departure and arrival points.
- Within-State Travel: If your jet-setting journey takes you within the boundaries of a weed-legal state, you might catch a lucky break. But, and it’s a big but, that doesn’t mean you’re free to light up on the plane. TSA might do a double-take if they spot your bud, and while you might not be in handcuffs, your green might just get the red light.
- Interstate Intricacies: Crossing state lines? Well, that’s where things get tricky. Even if both states have embraced the ganja, the federal government still says ‘no can do,’ and they’re the ones that call the shots when you’re soaring through the sky. So, while you might be daydreaming of enjoying a toke at 30,000 feet, reality might have other plans.
- International Adventures: Thinking about blazing your way to a foreign land? Hold up, because the rules aren’t the same everywhere. Many countries take a zero-tolerance stance on cannabis, and trust us, a run-in with foreign authorities isn’t a souvenir you want to bring back. Flying with weed internationally is like rolling the dice – you might hit the jackpot of trouble.
Air Travel Wisdom: How to Stay on the Right Side of the Law
So, what’s a cannabis enthusiast with a case of wanderlust to do? Here are some savvy strategies for keeping your cannabis adventure on the straight and narrow:
- Knowledge is Power: Arm yourself with the knowledge of local laws and airport regulations. Ignorance won’t save you from a sticky situation.
- Pack Like a Pro: If you’re in a weed-legal state, keep quantities within legal limits and stash your stash in an odor-proof container. And for goodness’ sake, leave the bong at home!
- Risk vs. Reward: We get it – you love your herb. But weigh the risks before deciding to carry it with you. The stress of an encounter with TSA might just outweigh the benefits of a high-mileage high.
- Go Odorless: Keep the smells under wraps with odor-absorbing materials. You don’t want Fido, the drug-sniffing dog, getting a whiff of your adventure.
In the grand scheme of things, flying with weed is like a delicate dance – a tango between your love for the herb and the legal boundaries that govern it. While we can’t promise you a carefree puffing party at 30,000 feet, we can urge you to be informed, be cautious, and above all, be respectful of the rules of the skies. After all, a little knowledge goes a long way, and when it comes to flying with weed, a smooth takeoff and landing are what every traveler dreams of.
Flying With Edibles: Satisfying Your Travel Cravings
Edibles provide a discreet and tasty way to enjoy cannabis while traveling. Here’s how to fly with edibles:
- Packaging Matters: Ensure your edible packaging is discreet and doesn’t indicate cannabis content. This helps you blend in seamlessly with other travelers.
- Dosage Awareness: Pay attention to the dosage of edibles you bring. Stick to legal limits and consider portioning them into individual servings.
- Research Your Destination: Just like with vaping, research the cannabis laws of your destination before flying with edibles. Compliance with local regulations is essential.
For the most part, edibles are incredibly easy to conceal. Throw your gummies into a bag with other gummies. Keep a small container with bite-sized pieces of chocolate in it. Or, simply create a snack pack featuring some THC-infused treats that look like regular snacks. Generally, no one is sniffing around your ziplock full of candy.
Mode of Transportation: A Quick Overview
While we emphasize the importance of legal compliance, let’s explore hypothetical scenarios of transporting cannabis for educational purposes.
- Air Travel: If hypothetically flying with an oil vape, consider placing the cartridge in a discreet container, such as an old moisturizer bottle, within your carry-on. Keep your pre-ground weed in a nondescript medication bottle, and discreetly pack your pipe and lighter in your luggage.
- Driving or Train Travel: For road trips or train journeys, you can keep your stash in your luggage, accompanied by odor-masking materials such as odor-proof bags or dryer sheets.
Keep in mind that an unsuspecting traveler going about their business as usual is going to be a lot more normal than someone endlessly fussing over the contents of their bags. Play it cool, act natural, don’t be weird. You’ll be fine!
Will the TSA take my vape out of my carry-on?
No, TSA regulations require that vape pens remain in carry-on instead of checked luggage.
Can airport scanners see vape pens?
Airport scanners only register the batteries of vape pens, and so long as it is in your carry-on bag, you should have no issues.
Do vape pens set off metal detectors?
A vape pen will likely set off a metal detector. Remove the vape pen from your pockets and keep it in your carry-on luggage as you pass through security.
Flying with a vape pen is a much better option than flying with fresh flower. If you travel with a non-descript vape pen, TSA has no reason to believe that it is cannabis and not nicotine or some other kind of e-liquid. Follow the above guidelines, and you’ll have no problem taking your vape pen along on all of your adventures.
Traveling to California? Need Vapes for Your Trip?
We’ve got you covered here at Bloom. Whether you’re traveling to California, or need to stock up for your travels out of state, you can grab fresh live resin or distillate vapes to keep you elevated for your trip.
Ready for take off? Find Bloom vapes at a retailer near you.